Followers
Following
Name
David Berry
City/State
Pine Mountain, QLD, AU
Canon R1 Announced

Canon R1

From Canon: The EOS R1 is aiming to be released in 2024.

• Prepare to get ahead of the game
  • The EOS R1 is a full frame mirrorless camera bringing together Canon's cutting-edge technology, top-class performance, durability and reliability in our flagship model. Designed for professionals, this camera will help you stay ahead of the game whether it be for sports, news reporting, video production and more.
  • Advancements in auto focus and image quality
  • Featuring the newly developed DIGIC Accelerator and existing DIGIC X processor, the EOS R1 offers impressive advancements in auto focus speed and image quality. Enjoy functions like 'Action Priority' helping you to capture decisive moments and image noise reduction, further expanding your creativity.

Last edited:
A little more information ...

Sydney – 15 May 2024:

Canon Inc. announced today that it is currently developing the EOS R1, a full frame mirrorless camera, as the flagship model for the EOS R system equipped with an RF mount and is aiming for a 2024 release.

The EOS R1 is a mirrorless camera geared toward professionals that brings together Canon’s cutting-edge technology and combines top-class performance with the strong durability and high reliability sought in a flagship model. This camera will dramatically improve the performance of both still images and video and meet the high requirements of professionals on the frontlines of a wide range of fields including sports, news reporting, and video production.

This camera employs the newly developed image processor DIGIC Accelerator in addition to the pre-existing processor DIGIC X. The new image processing system, composed of these processors and a new CMOS sensor, enables a large volume of data to be processed at high speeds and delivers incredible advancements in auto focus and other functions.

By combining the new image processing system and deep learning technology to an advanced degree, Canon has achieved high-speed and high-accuracy subject recognition. For example, subject tracking accuracy has been improved so that in team sporting events where multiple subjects intersect, the target subject can continually be tracked even if another player passes directly in front of them.

In addition, the AF “Action Priority” function recognises subject movement by rapidly analysing the subject’s status. In moments during a sports game when it is difficult to predict what will happen next, this function automatically determines the player performing a certain action, such as shooting a ball, as the main subject and instantly shifts the AF frame, thereby helping to capture decisive moments of gameplay.

The combination of the new image processing system and deep learning technology will help to improve image quality. Canon implements the image noise reduction function, which has been previously developed and improved as part of the software for PCs, as a camera function to further improve image quality and contribute to user creativity.

Canon is working on field tests for this camera, and will support capturing definitive and impactful moments at international sporting events to be held in the future.

Interesting, but even more interesting is that they basically didn't give any concrete info. And aiming for 2024 launch sounds like it won't be ready for the Olympics, and even might go to 2025.

Interesting, but even more interesting is that they basically didn't give any concrete info. And aiming for 2024 launch sounds like it won't be ready for the Olympics, and even might go to 2025.
my thoughts as well smoke and mirrors and cutting edge technology etc geez only cutting edge i worry about at 60 is my knife when i cut up meat or razor when shaving it all above dinasaurs like me

It's a development announcement, not the sales announcement. The final spec's and release date are TBD.

I think the interesting thing is the development announcement occurred on May 15th... the infamous date of the "Big Announcement" from a couple of weeks ago that raised excitement levels, but fizzled into the realization that it was a marketing announcement about a charity group affiliation. I suspect that Canon realized that they committed a foo-pah and brought forward the development announcement of the R1 to cover the mistake.

Jan Wegener comments on the R1:

and so does Matt Granger

I suspect that you'll learn nothing specific until they release anyone (if there is anyone) that has held a pre-release version in their hands from their NDA and let them post their YouTube review.

As with everything new, the internet is going to love it, and the internet is going to hate it, because none of us want the same thing and we except everything possible without considering the nuances of the necessary and the idea that hammers come with different claws and weights for a reason.

My guess is that we get detailed release announcements before the Olympics and they begin shipping afterward. Same with the one I'm waiting for.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back